Ross Rifle Forum
May 25, 2017, 03:58:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ross 1905 MkII 2?  (Read 2836 times)
admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2015, 09:54:51 AM »

By the way, Sir Charles would have called this rifle a MkIII   Grin
Barryj

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2015, 10:22:17 AM »

Admin: one too many stars in your comments....it began life as a Military Mark Two Two-Star.
Now: it really didn't....Sir Chas. Ross (Peace be upon Him) called it a Mark Three. The Canadian Gummint Drones in their infinite wisdom decided that, after even the Mk ll 5* was obsolete, this new design must henceforth be known by all as a Mark Two, Two Star.
Clear now? I thought so.....
sad ending for what was once a superb Ross- I would refer to it as a "Parts Donor"
flying pig

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2015, 11:55:15 AM »

Although I agree with these guys that it is really sad that it's history has been ripped out permanently, I believe that this one still holds value as a shooter. The rear sight can be had, one was just on eBay. Anyone with a lathe can make a suitable cross pin as well. If the gouges hurt that bad, a replacement stock could be made, or a trusted stock maker could camoflauge the gouges and re finish the original and I bet it could be made to look very good. After all, half of stock making is learning how to hide your mistakes and natural flaws in wood. The rest of the rifle looks too nice to write off. What is the bore like? Bright, shiny, well defined grooves and lands by chance?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 11:58:02 AM by flying pig » Logged
DrJ

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2015, 05:02:00 PM »

Bore is clean & shiny. In fact, overall the rifle appears to be in very good condition except for the right side of the stock...

DrJ
Barryj

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2015, 05:51:31 PM »

Flying Pig:- we're dealing with chalk and cheese here- I'm certainly not trying to drive any wedges in here, but you need to know that when the Ross Rifle Site was set up, the target audience/participants were clearly Collectors.
 Shooters tagged along later, primarily looking more for parts to upgrade guns that could be sold for big bux as opposed to gathering information regarding Ross History.
I really admire what you in particular are doing to save hardware that came from what could have been a collectible Ross, had it survived intact.
This Ross we're discussing in this thread is a classic example- because some unthinking soul in the past defaced it beyond restoration, that moves it from an extremely valuable scarce Military variant (with an exceedingly interesting story to boot!) to something you as a parts supplier can move down the line as a shooter-
Dr. asked why someone would deface it like that?
 Back in the days I collected and studied variations of the Colt 1911 pistols I likely came across a dozen to fifteen 1911s that had serials ground out AND the "U S Property" roll-mark ground out! Instant shooters!  Worst case ever? Of the three North American Arms 1911s I owned (as I'm sure you are  aware were "Made at RRCo Quebec) my first one had been defaced by Ontario's Lawn Order  people by electro-etching the previous owner's SIN (Single Identification No.) in the slide! The Prototype for the series was equally defaced on both slide and frame! A pox on their houses!   
No offense intended; I hope none is taken.
flying pig

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2015, 09:41:46 PM »

Barry, of course none taken! It is what it is these days for many of us. I love collecting originals as many others here do, but the reality of it these days as we as a community make the Ross more desirable by displaying our interest and enjoyment of them, we also drive the price of the few originals that do break out of collections way way up. For many of us just finding one functioning as it should is as good as it gets. This one I feel is a step above that, in that it retains its original shape minus it's identity. The guys on this site who have already dedicated a lifetime into preserving these beauties were also very fortunate that you were smart enough to figure out for yourselves the worth of these rifles. Now that you guys have helped their legacy the newer guys are joining in and enjoying whatever is left for us to salvage, and loving every minute of it. So I agree with every word of what you said and will never take any offence in it at all. Smiley
280_Ross

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2015, 01:47:33 PM »

Superb condition and extremely rare in that state.  Very desirable rifle! Shocked

"In my opinion there is no such thing as a 'foolproof' firearm and therefore fools should leave them alone." C.C. Meredith referring to the Ross rifle.
Harlton

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2015, 04:34:59 PM »

Hi All,
           Reading this with great interest, as mine looks nearly identical to this one,  the exceptions being that mine never had any sights from the factory fitted at all.  Whatever was attached was via a milled  sight bridge, and then a milled  perpendicular dovetail slot into the reinforce. Now I've removed the horrible buck-horn home effort, someone stuck on mine and center popped it like crazy, it's looks like a slide way for a claw footed scope mount, which matches to a shadow left on the bridge. My top wood is a  one piece item like the later ones.
    I've had no numbers put on my stock, but it's been cut back all'a sniper style sadly, so no metal work either, but now I have some good pictures to work from, thanks. Other difference mine has a square cut muzzle, otherwise the barrel and the rest of the rifle look very similar. Barrel looks close in weight, and is also 30.5 inches long, front sight looks the same as does the inscription on receiver.
    It's taken me a very long time to find a full length barreled Ross, with a  good bore, but I'm a shooter first then a collector. After all wooden  parts were repaired in the field, and back at the armory, you cannot really fix a bad barrel, so I don't follow that argument really, as long as it's a quality fix. Thanks to both for posting.

Personally I'd be really pleased with that very nice rifle, I'm not that knowledgeable considering the company here, but it's very similar to whatever version my own is, HB target I understood.  The extra battle sight you have on yours, I understood was an option on earlier 05 target rifles, or so I've read.

Regards Ian   
nateward

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2017, 10:12:17 AM »

I am looking for the same rear barrel sight as this fyi, as well as the charger / sight bridge.

nward@aquadiversities.com
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 09:50:51 PM by nateward » Logged
Ax.303

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2017, 05:25:39 PM »

I am looking for the same rear sight as this fyi.

Sorry for the hijack folks. Nate picked up a nice Military MKII** yesterday that needs a few bits.

I see you found what the charger bridge looks like.

Further to our conversation earlier. (lots going on there at once).
Keep your eyes open for a straighter version of the Sutherland barrel sight, as shown in the first picture. It would be more correct than the Peddie sight that is on your rifle.

I am looking for one of those as well, by the way.

The sight hood and proper sight blade should not be too hard to find.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 06:33:48 PM by Ax.303 » Logged
Ax.303

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2017, 07:10:49 PM »

DrJ, pretty small thing. Your sight blade is not correct. The one you have appears to be something like a Mauser one,  modified to fit.
Barryj

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2017, 07:12:48 AM »

Confirm Mk ll** Military rifle. The stamped sight base (as opposed to the later milled base) nails it down to a narrow 1912 serial range (CM/CN), but that of course is of no consequence now, as some fool has completely destroyed it's collector value other than as a parts donor. What a shame!
Which side of the razor-wire are you on/was it found?  Based on the deliberate mutilation of the stock, my guess would be Kanada. A Yanqui Bubba would likely have bandsawed the buttplate off, then added an attractive red rubber recoil pad- it's a regional thing, y'know?
john.k

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2017, 11:53:58 PM »

Some people seem to have a particular aversion to Ross stock markings.Ive seen a number of them removed by various methods,from chisels to planing to linishing.It seems to happen to the nicer specimens.The thing is that 60 years ago these rifles has no particular value,the same as Lee Metfords,Enfields ,Smle s ,Martinis, etc.,and often fell into the hands of kids.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: