Ross Rifle Forum
September 18, 2018, 08:03:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mark III rear sight question  (Read 55 times)
Greg

View Profile Email
« on: September 01, 2018, 08:39:07 PM »

I have a nice mk III rear sight that is on a cut sporter. I have a full length barreled action I want to put it on (it had one at some point, no it has none). The problem is I don't want to muck up this sight removing it. Has anyone ever taken one of these apart? Do you have pics? I've read the description of how to do this in the Ross 1907 handbook (p. 26) but without a picture I'm completely lost. I've removed the thimble screw and the screw seen in my pic 3 (sight leaf base?). I've also removed the two springs. The manual says "drive the sight leaf base forward from the underside". How hard? I've hit it and it doesn't sound like its going to move. The sight base ring is held by two pins which I haven't removed but the rest of the sight slides past the ring so it doesn't look like I need to remove that until later.
Any advice?
Thanks,
Greg

Greg

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 10:16:40 PM »

Well, I guess I should have tried harder earlier. Turns out it wasn't all that difficult to remove.

These two threaded collars are the key to getting the thimble off.
After that its just a couple smacks with a piece of hardwood and it all slides down the barrel.

That's whats left on the barrel.
Oldguncrank

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 01:14:53 PM »

Greg:
Don't try and put that on a MKIII as its a MKII sight.
OGC
Greg

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 06:06:07 PM »

Yes it's for a MK II but Ross called it a MK III rear sight.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: