Ross Rifle Forum
October 22, 2018, 01:46:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: MKIII sight on a M1910  (Read 302 times)
Bea

View Profile
« on: February 05, 2018, 04:56:21 AM »

Ongoing project I do in dibs and dabs, got a M1910 in 280 with no rear sight, thinking off swapping a MKIII receiver bridge and sight over and using that as an interim until something better shows up.  Anyone done it? Appreciate that theirs some calibration issues 303 vs 280, but shouldn't be too far off target?
Oldguncrank

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 10:22:02 AM »

BEA:
I have three M-10s with the Lyman 48 S mounted on altered bridges. The M-10s came special order (Plate 87A RRS PP155) with long slide 48s and a raised fore sight, and that is what is on all mine. Find a buggered MK III bridge. Hold your nose, and get out your Dremmel and grind (the top only) to fit the 48 (as the it is contoured to the bridge). See Plate 299A PP 303, RRS) for the result and note that only one mounting screw engages the bridge, so a touch of solder is required and (and the second screw put in anyway to blank the hole).

The MKIII sight is military hardware and has no place on an M-10 (IMHP).

If the truth be known, the Porter is not a good sight anyway, with no vertical adjustment and usually a weak spring that allows the peep element to wobble around.

Finally, I would not recommend even thinking about the Lyman in the stock (PP 302, RRS) as the first time I bashed it flat on opening the bolt, it got a blanking plate and a I just used the Porter.
Good Luck
Oldguncrank
Bea

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 05:39:14 PM »

Like I said, really need to justify the 280 in the rack, so need the thing shooting this year  when the Fallow start croaking. I've got a MKIII rear sight and 90% sure I can get a rear bridge so that might have to get me by until I can find a decent rear sight and plate ( Ross stuff isn't common in Oz)
Oldguncrank

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 09:19:41 AM »

Bea:
Find a little peep sight and drill & tap the current empty bridge in the dovetail. Use a bore sight to get the right height as the Porter rear sight is VERY low.
No new fore sight change required, and the tapped holes will be hidden by blanking plate or porter base.
Good luck.
OGC
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: