Ross Rifle Forum
August 17, 2017, 03:14:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Russian Olympic Ross Rifles  (Read 122 times)
RangeRover

View Profile
« on: June 05, 2017, 08:10:40 AM »

Making my way through several boxes of vintage shooting/guns magazines, I came across the April 1957 issue of 'Guns' magazine. This issue features an article entitled "Why America LOST the OLYMPICS". (capitalization is the magazine's). The article is a good overview of the shooting events at the 1956 Summer Olympics in Melbourne (https://www.olympic.org/melbourne-/-stockholm-1956/shooting), though a great deal of the article is focused on lamenting the fact that the U.S. team did not do well - 'They got soundly licked - and the Russkies chortled.'

The interesting part of the article for me, though are the images (scans provided below) of the custom Ross rifles used successfully by the Russian team in the Running Deer competition at those Olympics.

280_Ross

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 11:28:14 PM »

The large bolt knob is something I've often though the M1910 action would benefit from.  Nice to see they kept the original triggers!
What calibre were these rifles in, does anyone know?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 07:45:18 AM by 280_Ross » Logged

"In my opinion there is no such thing as a 'foolproof' firearm and therefore fools should leave them alone." C.C. Meredith referring to the Ross rifle.
admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 08:29:09 AM »

I seem to recall 6.5 x 54R or 6.35 x 54R (perhaps the same thing)?  Somewhere, I have an article on these.  I've never paid much attention to something like this given my focus has always been rifles as shipped, from the Ross factory.  But, it is an interesting application of the Ross and neat that the Ross action was chosen for a competitive purpose such as this.  The fact that it performed well in this application is satisfying.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: