Ross Rifle Forum
April 24, 2017, 01:19:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Henry Norwest  (Read 148 times)
Dreadnought

View Profile Email
« on: April 04, 2017, 07:39:00 PM »

Hello everyone

As some of you may have seen there is a new story going around the news; that of Henry Norwest, or Henry Louie to use the name he originally enlisted under.
of interest to me and the question I wanted to ask all of you is this;
Shown in the article available here; http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/henry-norwest-metis-marksman-1.4044782
And as mentioned on the CBC News radio in a piece this afternoon, they seem to state that he used a Ross Mk II
Would he have used a Mk II in combat? to my understanding, the MkII was not used by Canada in combat, large numbers we're used here and sold to the US for training, but would a sniper have been equiped with one?
Barryj

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 04:53:02 PM »

If anyone connected to CBC tried to tell me it was raining outside, I'd go out myself and look. I never did trust them!
The "weasel clause" in the rifle description?  "......one of the rifles Norwest used......" They don't say when or where, though. Surely not Overseas, even in England. The rifle itself appears to be a Commercial Mk ll**. The muzzle appears to not be crowned as were Military Mk ll**, but square-cut.
It's one of the early examples, with the early (Circa 1910/1911) receiver bridge for any of the commercially available Target sights, like the BSA Martin, or the CanTool Commercial. The right side of the buttstock (shown) appears to bear no Regimental stamps or dates. Although it was of course chambered for .303, it surely didn't leave Canada. Typically, for a Canadian Museum, close enough is adequate. Had he been a legit Sniper, he would most likely have been outfitted with one of the very scarce Ross Mk lll rifles fitted out by Regimental Armourers with one of the 1913 Contract W&S telescopes. His early issue rifle would have been a Ross Mk lll with the standard battle-sight, then later replaced with a Mk lll SMLE.
Should anyone have even limited access to the Museum where the rifle is currently, could they please check the serial number on the left side of the barrel, just ahead of the receiver and report back?
Ax.303

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 03:08:16 PM »

The front sight is not correct for this rifle.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 03:14:30 PM by Ax.303 » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: