Ross Rifle Forum
October 22, 2017, 10:11:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hardness of Ross rifle barrel steel?  (Read 473 times)
admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« on: January 06, 2017, 11:44:12 AM »

A new member posed this question to me:

Have read that ross rifles have "soft" steel compared to what we are used to, and tend to shoot out more quickly.

What do you think about that?

Do you know what steel is used for barrels?

I can't say I know much about this - what do others think or know?
Brno8x57

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 12:01:46 AM »

I am far from an expert in metallurgy, however, I own the results of corrosive primers and neglect and poor cleaning practices.  Not just in Ross rifles either. A really nice 1903 Mannlicher Schoenauer carbine in 6.5x54MS with a dark but shootable bore and an old 1892 Winchester in 44-40.
My father has a sportered P14 Enfield with the same issues, dark pitted bore.  They still shoot. 
I have a Ross R10 that sprays jacketed bullets(.312 dia hornady 174 gr) like a garden hose yet with cast bullets (.313 dia, 180 gr gas checked) it shoots just fine (2 inches at 50 yds open sights). I am sure it was cleaned from the muzzle for most of its life, and rather vigorously at that.

I guess what I am trying to say is that with Ross rifles that are 100 years or more in age, they may have been subjected to a number of indignities that have caused bore corrosion and erosion.  It is not likely soft steel that is the sole culprit.
Oldguncrank

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 03:26:01 PM »

Admin for "New member:
I recall that Ross built their barrels from chrome vanadium which is considerably stronger than C/molly and that as we all know certified the barrels to 37 and the 38 tons which is approx 100,000 psi. The former is in the RRS but I ran out of time and patience looking it up for a casual question.
Second, in the Herb Cox letters to Dad, he talks about "proofing" an M-10 with a load that generated approx 150,000 psi, and although the the exercise bust the extractor, the rifle remained intact. (Herb's letters are posted on the sight and make for a unique insight from the point of view of a master machinist and lifelong user and aficionado).

Barrels were not worn out by rounds fired through, rather by ignorance of the fact that mercuric primers and corrosive powders produced salts upon firing which normal cleaning procedures did not remove.
Thus, even after cleaning, the bores rusted, and the rust did not care that the barrel was C/vanadium, and in fact that amalgam rusts faster! The proper way to clean a barrel after mercuric primed, corrosive (war surplus et al) ammunition is to "boil out the barrel" (salts) before cleaning, or use several ammonia soaked patches (second best) to do the same.

So N/M it ain't the barrel; it's the user's lack of knowledge.
Best
OGC

280_Ross

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 05:08:15 PM »

I will be sending some chunks for spectrographic analysis and will report the results.

"In my opinion there is no such thing as a 'foolproof' firearm and therefore fools should leave them alone." C.C. Meredith referring to the Ross rifle.
Marc_Stokeld

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 06:38:44 PM »

CAN'T WAIT! thank you so, so much.
john.k

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 03:56:46 AM »

I agree that Ross Mk111 barrels are softer than say a Lithgow SMLE.The Ross barrels I have worked on  are also of variable hardness.Some rifles with virtually no primer ring on the boltface have quite worn throats.I have read that short barrel life as training rifles was one of the complaints against the Ross Mk 111B,but the official reason for contract cancellation was missed/non delivery.Regards John.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: