Ross Rifle Forum
December 14, 2017, 10:13:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Restored MKIII - Picture heavy  (Read 637 times)
divealta

View Profile Email
« on: June 22, 2016, 08:41:16 PM »

About 99% done restoring a MK III back into full military dress.

Barrel, receiver and bolt looking nasty.

Degreasing nasty 100 year old grime. Parts degreased using a ultrasonic cleaner.

Degreased three times. Finally come out clean. Cleaning solution below after 2nd run in ultrasonic cleaner.

Next phase. Glass bead blasted parts.

The parts were rust blued. Taking about 6 rusting phases to complete. Don't have any pictures of the process, however you will see how black they turned below.

Here is the wood ready for BLO.

Final product.

The front nose cap and sight hood are the ones I make. The wood is by Bill @ Alberta Gun Stocks.

Finishing touches left to do are the upper wood rivets and a new interrupt screw. Also, case harden the bolt.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 09:18:37 PM by divealta » Logged

I buy Ross rifle parts and Ross sporterized military rifles. MKII and MKIII's
Mr Bill

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 09:33:31 PM »

Shes lookin great ! Hope she shoots as good as she looks !
Mr Bill

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 09:33:59 PM »

Shes lookin great ! Hope she shoots as good as she looks !
Bea

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 11:52:34 PM »

Thought I chip in with a restoration project story of my own. Or as I'd like to call it "my life is a living hell and due to some questionable life choices centred exclusively in my gun safe, money is bleeding out of my eyes every time some mentions the word 'Ross'..."

Picked up a cut down MKIII with a shot out barrel for 'around the right price' in 2011.  Slowly started assembling all the required parts to bring the old girl back up to spec, Stock from Stogie when he was doing the, which to save shipping cost to Oz came via my cousin who was studying over at Harvard and had his work send it back to Oz when he finished up.

Then I went back OS for another contract, come home, had a kid, new work and pretty much all things Ross and shooting related went on the back burner. Final piece of the jigsaw was one of Lorne's nose caps, which arrived via surface post in near record time for an 1800's steampacket. 

Finally got it all together and realized with the downsized house and non-exisiting workshop I now had,  I'd bitten off more than I could chew. All good, mate I go duck shooting with owns a gunshop and knows a bloke who's done a couple of stock jobs for me in the past, so I'll just bundle it all up and he can sort it out. That was September 2016.... He's pretty busy making his own stocks, so anticipated he'd be a bit slow getting it done.

Got a call yesterday from the shop, it's all good to pick up. You little beauty! Since I've moved house in the last 15 months, down the road was now a significantly longer trip, thats okay, got a few days off work, so off I go.

Picked it up, well I asked that he fit the barrelled action to the stock and fit the furniture as per some detailed instructions and pics. Fit was good, little bit pissed off he bedded the action with Devcon ( so its goodbye to service rifle competition)

What really pinched the jam out of donut was the nose cap... not attached, not in the bag of parts I gave him. Where is it?  FIIK

Oh, and the rear sight was missing the aperture plate... because thats going to come in handy at some point.

I'll be on the blower first thing in the morning for a please explain and get him to sort his shit out. 

As it stands I've got a semi finished stack minus a nose cap. The Barrel is brand new. Pretty sure Service Rifle competition rules put the kibosh on devcon bedded stocks, so even if it was fully finished, its useless for that.  If the nose cap is AWOL, then he'll have to find me a new one.  I've got a spare rear sight, but the aperture has being drilled out and punched into place. 

Might as well fit the old sight, cut the stock in front of the mid band and just shoot the thing and pretty much be back to square one except for the new barrel.  Least I'll have a shooter.

Anyhow, guess which mood I'm in now? 1) ecstatic 2) mildly optimistic 3) boiling with rage and ready to drop punt the neighbours cat if I catch it on the strawberry patch again.
john.k

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 11:55:21 PM »

Thats a sad story Ive heard many times about repairers who take so long that parts get lost,and they forget what they were asked to do.You may have some comeback under consumer legislation,as the guy would have to be licensed to do the work,and store the gun.Many years ago,I actually worked for a crowd like this.Stuff everywhere without any ID , details entirely in the bosses head.Strangely ,they are still going ,and have got big.
kstorey

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 01:35:20 AM »

I cant see any of the pics you sent .are you in Aussie or the US of A ?
john.k

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 04:14:01 AM »

Fotobucket ist kaput.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: